Our Experiences In Tiruvannamalai

Our Experiences In Tiruvannamalai
A GUIDE TO THIS BLOG

On the side panel is a list of contributors. We recommend reading by writer as we don't want you to miss out on anyone's experience.

If, however, you would like to read from the very beginning, please scroll down to the bottom of each web page and hit 'older posts', till you find the very first post.


There are about 400 pages of information on Girivalam on this website.
Enjoy
__________________________________________


Ulaganathan P: (#14): Girivalam on Vaikasi Vishakam Poornima

After the last karthigai deepam, I have been longing to go to Tiruvannamalai. I felt I am filled with all kinds of negative energies which I felt only a visit to Tiruvannamalai and a girivalam could purge me of. In the past week, I was laid up with cough and wheezing. The weakness arising out of the illness and the strong dose of anti-biotics, which the doctor had administered on me, did not deter me from going to Tiruvannamalai on the occasion of Vaikasi, Vishakam Poornima on 27th May, 2010. I asked my young friend, Balamurali if he was interested in accompanying me. He readily agreed, despite his busy occupational schedule. We left Chennai by bus around 3 p.m on the 27th May, 2010, in the severely hot summer. Remember, the Agni Nakshatram(Katri) was still having its field day. I have heard pundits saying it is 'karthigai' natchatram which is referred to as 'agni' natchatram. Hence, my visit to Tiruvannamalai during the agni natchatram strangely brings out the connection with karthigai.

It was 7 p.m, when we started the girivalm. I was a bit tired and weak, due to my illness and yet had the heart to do pradakshina. Fortunately, the severity of the blazing sun has come down. But, the track, which was topped with tar and gravels still retained the heat of the sun. We had removed our chappals as we walked.There was less crowd, compared to the girivalam of karthigai deepam days, but still there was a steady stream of pilgrims treading on the girivalam route. En route, I insisted on quenching myself with tender coconut water and 'karumbu' juice. However, after we crossed the idukku pillaiyar, I found it difficult to walk further. The pain on soles was so unbearable that I took out and wore the chappals. As we reached the Esanya Lingam, I was literally limping. We hired an auto, to reach the bus depot. We could easily find a seat for Chennai. When we reached Chennai, it 3 a.m on 28th may, 2010. Bala's house was near the bus stop where we got down. I borrowed his motor-cycle and drove to my house. In the morning, as I got up, I noticed the burns on my soles, especially of my left leg. There are times, when we feel happy when we suffer physically. This was one such occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment